5 Food choices that will help you to feel better and thrive!
What are the best foods for your mental health?
Eating raw fruits and vegetables is linked to improved mental health. Eating raw fruit and vegetables will lower your risk of depression and can help you to feel better about yourself.
Dr Tamlin Conner led a study of 400 adults, aged 18-25 years. The 2018 study looked into the impact of dietary habits on mental health.
5 Food choices that will boost your mental health and well-being
- At least 6 servings of raw fruit and vegetables each day
- Raw bananas and apples are two of the most important fruits
- Where possible, eat salad every day
- Eat fresh, rather than cooked, canned or processed fruits and vegetables. The latter are show much less effect on mental health and well-being.
- The ten best foods for mental health: Carrots, bananas, apples, dark leafy greens such as spinach, grapefruit, lettuce, citrus fruits, fresh berries, cucumber, and kiwifruit.
Raw fruit and vegetable consumption predicted lower levels of mental illness, such as depression, and improved levels of psychological wellbeing including positive mood, life satisfaction and flourishing. This research is increasingly vital as lifestyle approaches such as dietary change may provide an accessible, safe, and adjuvant approach to improving mental health.
Dr Tamlin Conner
• • •
For a related article about how good mental health is not just a matter of medication see:
To sign up for my blog, you can click the “Follow Getting High on Recovery” link at the top right section of this page. When you enter your email, you will be able to access the articles in my blog at no cost. I do not send spam or share your email address with anyone.