Mess is comfortable and can sometimes be creative. But our mess can hide a few landmines.
A little mess is nice, but a lot of mess can be a disaster. I am comfortable with a little mess: My hair, my desk, my books. They are all messy. I try to look presentable because that’s what adults are supposed to be. But inside, I am a Messy.
How about you, any Messies out there?
9 Ways that Mess can be Fun and Helpful:
- It keeps your stuff close by. No need to walk great distances, to other rooms or open doors. Boom, you got it.
- You can mix ideas, you have Idea Sex. James Altucher got me onto the the Idea Sex concept: you have a book on parenting next to a Star Wars figure. Then you come up with an idea for a blog post about Darth Vader as a parent, trying to change a messy baby.
- All around you are time capsules. You keep stuff from this decade, last decade and yesterday. It all blends together and you never know what you will find. Yesterday I found old family photos, some items from the Source that I returned for $11.96 (after 1.5 years of sitting 4 feet from me).
- You can keep projects ready at hand. You have what you need ready and nearby.
- Your room is like a brain scan. If your doctor orders a brain scan, tell him to come home with you and it will save the healthcare system thousands. Your room is like a brain map.
- The mess can hide a few landmines. Some people like a little mess and others can tolerate it. When it is in the corner of your bedroom, it can be the wrong place for a mess. Take it outside if you want peace at home.
- Other life forms love mess. Leave a yogurt in the corner for six months and then investigate. You will discover a whole new world.
- It will bring you joy. You get to discover all of the things that you left in your piles. It is a little bit of Christmas day (or a break from self-imposed Alzheimer’s).
- It lets you be. Sometimes, you need to stop the organizer-get-things-done self and just be. Go ahead, step away from the broom and sit in your back yard. You have earned it.
- Never let people touch your junk.
Keep it Real.
Join the conversation about men, mess and making a difference. Click the link for a 10% discount.
Photo by Ryo Chijiwa
One thought on “9 Ways that Being Messy can be Fun and Helpful”
That was a snap of your room as a teenager – it was in the pile of family photo’s you found – right??