Today, whatever you do with your day, take time to something that helps you to recharge. If we wait until things are just right before we will take care of ourselves, we may never do it.
Well being is not just what we do. Well being happens as we invest time in being well.
“Mental health is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.” The World Health Organization
This is a great definition and I believe it. But I have to remind myself: Being well does not necessarily mean that we are feeling well.
This morning my back hurts. My wife and I need to buy groceries today… and I hate waiting in line. The sky is grey and lifeless. The snow outside is lingering (way too long). The sidewalks are icy and the roads are full of ruts. The news on the TV is not good. And the Academy Awards are long gone.
There is not a lot right now that feels well on the outside. But being well is not just feeling well.
What is it today, right now that you can do to bring a little well into your being?
It’s not just about lighting a candle having a bath or playing music. Well being often means hard stuff.
- Going outside when you just want to hibernate
- Cooking real food when you just want to eat take out… again
- Exercising when you are so not into it
- Stretching or doing Yoga even when your mind is telling you that you have too much to do and this is stupid
- Not eating a box of cookies or having another glass of wine
- Avoiding Costco
- Cleaning up a pile of clutter that has been pissing you off for a while
- Talking about what is on your mind when you’d rather avoid it
Today, take some time to build more of the life that you want. Daily investment will move us towards the life that we want.